The first writing prompt from, 642 Things to Write About, asked: what can happen in a second?
The answer: The author stares at the question for two minutes trying to figure it out.
I think for this writing prompt, instead of writing a story, I’ll make a list. Maybe someday, I’ll make use of it.
1. I could drop something – anything really. What have I dropped today? Crumbs….no wait….that wasn’t me…that was my two-year-old.
2. I could stub my toe.
3. I could stare off into space while typing this up, wondering what the hell my husband is watching on television. It sounds like a fight is going down but there’s a kitten meowing in the background.
4. Car accidents – they only take a second to happen.
5. Annoying people. I’m the reigning queen in this category and on a good day, it takes me less than a second.
6. Changing diapers. I have a two-year-old who isn’t potty trained and a one-year-old who loves to climb on top of the two-year-old during a diaper change. So….yeah….I have to move fast.
7. It only takes a second for my two-year-old to dump his food on the floor.
8. Frightening someone. If you’re me, you tell your husband, upon returning home from having an ultrasound done, that the doctor made a mistake and you’re actually having not one, but twenty children. Good times.
9. Writing a grocery list. Normally this takes longer than a second, but it only takes a second for my toddler to grab my pen and run through the house with it.
10. Spelling errors. They only take a second to make, but if you know the same people I do, you hear about those spelling errors everyday…for the rest of your life.